Wheelchairs are one of the most useful medical inventions of all time. They make movement possible for the disabled, aid in the healing process for certain diseases and injuries and make dealing with infirmity and old age infinitely easier.
What they do not make easier, however, is transportation. The size and the shape of a wheelchair, as well as the condition of the user, often make it difficult to get from point A to point B. Luckily, we offer non-emergency medical transportation in Orlando for fast and hassle-free wheelchair car transportation services.
Alkar Transport is used by individuals, businesses, and facilities to transport both ambulatory, and wheelchair passengers and we believe that all human beings should be able to exercise their freedom of movement. However, concerns over safety and care when it comes to transporting people with disabilities and special needs can be overwhelming and discouraging.
For people with disabilities who use wheelchairs or are otherwise incapacitated, transportation to and from appointments or other occasional travel needs can be problematic. To counteract this situation, our vehicles have:
- A Low Step Entry Door
- Are Air Conditioned and Heated
- Are Quiet and Comfortable
- Are Affordable and Reliable
- Drivers who are safe and friendly
- Been cleaned and well maintained.
How Do You Transport Someone in a Wheelchair?
If you are like most working Americans, you likely drive a sedan or an SUV. Unless you have customized your car for the purposes of wheelchair transportation, it probably lacks specialized features that make transporting a wheelchair-bound individual easier.
These are the steps to put a wheelchair patient into a standard car:
- Open the door of the vehicle and put the wheelchair as close to the car as you can.
- Do not forget to check if the lock brakes on the wheelchair are enabled before you start transferring the patient.
- Put a safety belt around the patient’s hip area. This will help keep them safe while transferring them between the wheelchair and the car.
- Many wheelchairs allow you to remove footrests or swing them out to make transferring easier. Do not forget to use this feature if the wheelchair has it.
- Slide the car seat as far back as you can. You want to have as much room for the transfer as possible.
- Move the wheelchair user to the edge of the wheelchair seat.
- While they are sitting at the edge of the wheelchair seat, tell them to lean in toward you. This helps ease body weight and makes moving them from the wheelchair to the vehicle easier.
- Make sure the patient is putting their hands and weight on the wheelchair’s armrests rather than on you. As a caregiver, you must always be ready to prevent a slip up or a fall.
- The patient should be able to apply enough pressure on the wheelchairs armrests to begin lifting themselves out of the wheelchair.
- Make sure you have a strong grasp on the patient. If they have weak knees, you’ll have to line up your knees with theirs to provide extra support when you lift them up.
- Help the patient turn their body so that it is facing the open vehicle door. If they bend their knees, it will be easier to raise them up and get them into the car.
Wheelchair Transportation to Medical Appointments
Alkar Tansport can assist you with the following:
- Doctor’s Appointments
- Non-Emergency Hospital Visits
- Hospital Discharge
- Physical Therapy Rehabilitation
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary and Cardiac Rehabilitation
Our provide our wheelchair transportation to non-medical appointments service because we understand that you live a life outside of medical appointments and visits. Our Wheelchair transportation services near me in Orlando ? is available to you around the clock to take you to all your social engagements and tend to your errands. Whether you want to spend a night on the town or hang out with your grandchildren, we are prepared to offer you service to all your life events.
Alkar Transport can assist you with the following:
- Long Distance Trips
- Train or Bus Stations
- Transportation to and from Airports
- Weddings and Special Occasions
- Family Gatherings
- Church Services
- Birthday Parties
- Christenings and Baptisms
- Shopping and Errand Trips
- Group Events
Why choose Alkar when you are looking for Wheelchair transportation services near me in Orlando ?
Transportation with a Family Feeling
You never have to give up the quality of your life when you become wheelchair bound. Our specially trained and compassionate team goes the extra mile to ensure a relaxing, worry-free ride to your next destination.
Equipped to help you settle into our transport vehicle comfortably, our drivers also work diligently to create a pleasant atmosphere for you. As our passenger, you sit up front with us and have free rein over our music options.
We use upfront pricing to let you know the cost of your trip before you request a ride. This gives you the peace-of-mind that you deserve by eliminating the risk of hidden charges.
Our vehicles are designed to accommodate wheelchairs. They are fitted with wheelchair seating systems and vehicle tie-down systems to offer adequate restraint to the wheelchair during the journey.